In 1944 Hermann Steiner opened a carpenter’s shop in Liestal. In the 1950s, while looking for a simple means of joining the recently introduced chipboard, he invented, almost by accident, the now world-famous Lamello Joining System. In the succeeding years further developments followed such as the circular saw and the first stationary biscuit (plate) joining machine in 1956, followed by the first portable biscuit joiner for Lamello grooves in 1968. In this logical way the change from a small business to Lamello AG of Bubendorf, Switzerland, an industrial manufacturer of power tools and innovative joining technology, progressed. Colonial Saw has been the exclusive importer of Lamello in the U.S. for over 40 years.